June 30, 2006

Mothers on Bikes



I took this picture the other day. This is a very common sight. Mothers ride with their children in seats on the back of their bicycles. They sometimes carry another child in the front, too. The woman on the left has a child in front as well. With all her seats filled, she is carrying a bag on her handlebars and on her back. Younger children are usually put in a seat in the front of the bicycle. I have even seen mothers ride bicycles with their young children strapped on their backs in baby carriers.

I couldn't juggle children and groceries on a bike. Big Sister and Little Brother rode in a stroller until they were old enough to walk to the store with me. It was hard, too. We had to go to the store every day because the stroller couldn't carry many bags of groceries.

Note that these mothers are riding on the sidewalk. I was walking along behind them on my way to the grocery store. My children were still at school. I had my shopping cart.

No comments: