May 17, 2006

A Street Scene



As I was walking home from the shops, I came to this scene being played out behind a curtain. It looked like they were staging a show. The curtains were pulled back and several workmen scrambled down from the pile of rubble. The guy on the bulldozer jumped down to take a break.

The curtains are there to block the dust. The workmen were in the process of cleaning up after tearing down a six story building. (It used to be a shop that sold gas heaters with offices on the upper floors.) The wall you see in the back is the building next door. They tore down this building that was right up against another one. Most of the work was done behind closed curtains.

I snapped this picture in a hurry because cars were starting to turn the corner. I wish I had been further back so you could get the full effect of this scene on a busy corner. Some of the men waved an 'okay' for taking the picture. They probably wondered why I wanted it. It was business as usual for them. Notice only one guy is wearing a hard hat. One guy is wearing a white towel on his head. That's usually what gardeners wear.

No comments: