August 12, 2006

On the Way


We went through the city to get to the highway. I'll show some of those city scenes at another time. Some stretches of highway have blinders along the sides as it moves through residential and urban areas. The sky looks dark and ominous, but we didn't run into much rain. (Actually there was a lot of talk about a typhoon blowing in, but it never reached us or Tokyo.)




There are rest stops along the highway. Here is one that has booths or stalls that sell food.




This booth sells fried noodles, soba, octopus balls...




and frozen cucumbers on sticks among other things. I was looking at and taking a picture of the frozen cucumbers when the guys who were making octopus balls started putting on a show and posing.




This picture was a little unexpected gift! I didn't even have to ask. I guess many tourists pass this way who want a picture. Note the man in the back is doing the peace sign. A lot of people here do that when they are having their picture taken. I'll try to get pictures of the whole process of making octopus balls at another time. We had to get on the road again.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hello Annie,

I was looking for something online today, and I stumbled across this blog that recommends visiting your blog. In case you haven't seen it, here is the URL:
http://thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com/2006/08/blog-from-japan.html

Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...

Thanks, Susan for letting me know about this.