August 16, 2006

Temple in a Small Town in Niigata Prefecture


Before standing in front of the temple to pray, you wash your hands here. There is watering flowing from the head of a dragon at the base of the statue into a huge hollowed stone. The water is flowing over the sides of the stone between the moss.



This is a candlebra next to the place to wash your hands. There are two of these on either side of the stone basin. If I had moved the camera a little to the right I would've gotten the head of the dragon. I was too busy talking to my friend! In Tokyo, if I mess up a picture I can just go back and take another one. I have to be more attentive when I'm traveling.



I was standing at the water basin looking down toward the path people take from the entrance to wash their hands before praying. The big white structures were put there for obon . They represent candles. The names of people who donated money are written on them.



This is the temple. People stand at the bottom of the stairs at the entrance, ring the bell, and pray. There are the white "candles" along the front for obon.





There is a trail of thirty prayer sites on this hill behind and above the main temple. At each one you can use a stamp like this one.

No comments: