June 25, 2008

Young Taro


Click on the photo to enlarge it. See the really little taro?

There were two questions about taro, so I will answer them here.

Taro is taro in English. It is satoimo in Japanese.

Click on the label "taro" at the bottom of the post to see a picture of the vegetable. Baba has peeled satoimo, cut it, and simmered it until soft. Then she mashed it and stirred/whipped it. It's sticky. It's not a favorite upstairs! We've eaten downstairs. I haven't seen or smelled it in a long time. I think Jiji (grandfather) was the one who liked it. He passed away four years ago.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

In another word, Taro is yam? I thought I can recognized the leaves.

Kris Bordessa said...

Annie, how is taro prepared in Japan?

Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.