March 11, 2007

A Kitchen Sink


This is not our kitchen sink at home. It was in the building where we had the workshops yesterday. Some groups sign up to serve tea to their guests. There was a cart of tea cups and trays next to the cabinet. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of it.

Home kitchens usually have one big sink like this.



Kitchen counter tops are usually made out of stainless steel, too. That is a big water heater sitting on this counter.



This is a dish rack. In this kitchen, dishes are put here to dry after washing them. Check the post for February 22 on Paradise Found for an explanation of how some people wash dishes in Japan.

P.S. (added 03-13) You can see part of the faucet in the second picture. I was in and out of there pretty fast and didn't get a good look at the heater, but I'm pretty sure that hot water is used for making tea. I also didn't get a picture of the dish cart, but there were probably hot water pots (canisters) on it.

I'm planning to go to the hardware store to get a picture of a kitchen hot water heater. We don't have a separate one in our kitchen.

2 comments:

Kris Bordessa said...

Thanks for the link, Annie. (blogger isn't letting me write from my Paradise Found account, but it's me!)

There isn't a faucet! Does the water come directly from the hot water heater? Is this the norm in homes, too? Or just public kitchens?

Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...

Kris,
Unfortunately, I didn't take the pictures from a very good angle. It was pretty tight in there! I'll add a P.S. to the post. Thanks for your questions.