June 22, 2006

Close to Home


I came in from the grocery store and went around to the back of the house to check on the catepillars. I saw this butterfly, a swallowtail, fluttering around on Aunt's flower pots. The flowers didn't look very tasty. Even with all the rain they had drooped. All that to say, I didn't think he would stay there very long.

So I ran into the house, actually it was more like I walked fast, and got the camera. Unfortunately the wrong lens was on the camera so I couldn't get a close-up. I took a few pictures anyway. Can you see the blue at the bottom of his wings?

This butterfly was jerking a lot and to me it looked like he was drying his wings. Could he have been one of our caterpillars? All the caterpillars but one are gone. Wonder how long that whole process takes. I remember my Dad used to say, "Look it up!"


Here are some of the things I bought at the grocery store:



This is goya, a bitter vegetable from Okinanwa, Japan. It's supposed to be very good for your health.





Notice how small the green peppers and cucumbers are here. The peppers (above the dollar bill) have very thin flesh. As I recall, the ones in the States have very thick.

No comments: