June 19, 2006

Left Behind



These clear and white umbrellas are really cheap compared to other umbrellas. If it starts to rain during business hours, shopkeepers put a bin of them outside their shops. People who have gotten caught in the rain can quickly grab one to buy. I guess you could say that they are considered throwaways though they hold up pretty well.

This one was left behind on our street, so someone picked it up and put it on this tree brace. Here in Tokyo, when something is left behind or dropped by mistake it is put up somewhere in plain view. The person can come back to find it more easily. It's not unusual to see a lone shoe or glove on a fence or a shrub. When I went out shopping today, I noticed that this umbrella was gone. It had been there a long time. There was a non-stop downpour yesterday so perhaps someone had desperately needed it.




Today was a hot, sunny day. I also noticed as I passed a convenience store that their customer umbrella stand outside was full. People somehow left without taking their umbrellas with them. When I passed by again on my way home, I noticed they had moved all of the umbrellas to this bin on the parking lot. I guess it is their lost and found. There are several sturdy umbrellas in the bunch. There are quite a few of the cheap clear and white ones, too. Wonder if anyone will be back for those.

No comments: