July 19, 2006

On the Highway in Tokyo


Most of the highway here has two lanes going the same way. High walls separate the lanes from the lanes going the other way. You can sometimes go miles and just see nothing but walls on both sides. There is little or no shoulder of the road so if there is a problem with a car or an accident there is nowhere to get out of the way. Everyone would have to stop. It would cause a traffic jam that could last hours.

The sign above tells drivers to drive quietly. It says "quiet" in Japanese. What does that mean? No noisy motorcycle riding, horns, etc. Actually, horns are rarely used here.




This sign lets drivers know that there is a phone up ahead for emergency use. It says "SOS".




This is the phone. I took this picture as we drove by so it's blurry. I will replace it when or if I can get a better one.




This sign points to the nearest emergency exit. There was one 120 meters away. I was unable to get a picture of the exit. I saw it as we passed. It was a staircase that led down to the street below the highway.

2 comments:

Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...

Hi, thanks for your question. I would suggest getting in touch with the Study Abroad Office at a university in your state. It would be a good source of information about high school study abroad programs. The staff could help you find a program. You would receive personal attention.

Also, there is AFS, American Field Services. I remember having foreign exchange students at my high school through that program. That was thirty years ago and they are still operating. They arrange homestays. I'll put all website addresses for these services in my links section.

Experiment in International Living is a program I know about because of their Masters program in Linguisitics. They arrange four week study programs in Japan during the summer.

Rotary International gives scholarships to students who are "academically above average, articulate, and demonstrates leadership."

I would also check CSIET, Council for International Educational Travel. They have an Adisory list of programs that are recommended.

In the meantime, check out www.kanjistep.com for Japanese study. Best of luck. Glad to hear of your interest!

Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...

Lonestar,
Rotary International also has youth exchange progrmas.
Annie