July 10, 2006

Summer Days: Lavender


I have waited all year to see this! Last year, I noticed that the parking lot of a garden nursery had lavender planted all around it. It is pretty far from our house, but I can get there easily by train. I went back several times to take a picture this spring but it hadn't bloomed. I finally went at the right time.

When I went to Tasmania many, many years ago, a friend and I stumbled onto a lavender farm that was in full bloom. We were there at the right time. It has always been a great memory. Seeing a field of flowers is awesome. I'm glad I got to see this.




As I got closer to take a picture, the parking lot attendant warned me about the bees. Maybe you can see them. They don't sting, do they?




He's got a nice spot to work despite the bees and the humid weather. The humid (wet) weather we have in Japan makes it all even more precious and incredible; lavender prefers dry conditions.

P.S. The children aren't as eager anymore to make long treks by train and on foot in these hot, humid days so I went alone. Hopefully, we'll get to go by car to see the lavender at the foot of Mt. Fuji. Hope there aren't many bees. My son doesn't appreciate them as much as he does other bugs.

No comments: