September 01, 2006

Anniversary of the Great Kanto Earthquake 1923

On September 1, safety drills and lectures take place. It is the anniversary of the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923. I had plans to stand around the fire department to take pictures of them doing drills, but it rained. They probably did them anyway, but the thought of standing in the rain and juggling a camera was too much of a drill for me. So, since I didn't get the pictures I wanted, I'm posting more pictures of fire hydrants. I have already posted some in the past. I will post other safety devices and supplies later.




This was out in the rice fields of the small town in Niigata prefecture that we visited recently. I took the picture from the car so I'm not sure how it works. It looks like a door needs to be opened to get to the spout.




This picture of a fire hydrant was taken from a window of that thatched roof house we visited near Ainokura.




These are on the streets of my neighborhood. They tell firemen where the spouts are for fire hoses. The one above is about 2 ft. x 1 ft.


This round one is about 8 in. in diameter.



In our area, September 1st is the first day of school after the summer break. As you may remember or know, new school years start in April. September 1st is a short day spent doing safety drills. Mothers or fathers meet their children at school to walk home with them. The children and teachers usually walk out of the school in their fire hoods (see April post). The children line up for the family members to meet them.

It was raining today. I left home thinking we'd do the same old thing only with umbrellas. As I arrived at the school, I heard an announcement to come inside. Other mothers had brought their slippers. I didn't! I had to walk through the school in socks. (Street shoes are left at the entrance). I was embarrassed, but I noticed some mothers (and even grandmothers!) were doing the same. No hoods today. Not even drills. I wonder if they'll be doing them on Monday.

By the way, my shoes were right where I left them. (see the August 24th post)

No comments: