September 19, 2006

Street Gardens


Most gardens in the Tokyo area have plants in containers. A visitor once asked me why. I'm not sure, but I know that Jiji, Grandfather, preferred potted plants because he could move them around to sunny spots in the garden. When the potted plants were blooming, he could move them near the entrance for display. Some houses don't have much garden space. Potted plants are sometimes put along the street next to their outer wall like in the picture above. There are pots hanging on the gate, too.





Some businesses put potted plants along their store front like this one. I'm sure you know what this shop is. Is a barber pole a universal sign? Is it used all over the world? I have seen it in many countries.





Someone put plants along this busy street. Perhaps the shopkeepers extended their store front gardens.

No comments: