September 11, 2006

People to People, Pole to Pole, It Is A Small World


I planted a white rose bush on the first anniversary of 9/11. It hasn't bloomed yet this year. I took this picture of a single white rose at someone's entrance this morning.

As I write, it's the afternoon of September 11th here. We're a few hours ahead or maybe even a day ahead of most of you in time. The day begins in New Zealand, I believe. That is, the sun rises on land there first.

9/11/01 is a tragic day in history, but did you know that on September 11, 1956 something extraordinarily positive happened? U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower founded People to People, an organization to encourage international understanding. His idea was to bring people of different cultures together. Since 1963, thousands of young people have traveled to other countries through the Student Ambassador Program. People to People's Friendship through Education has ideas for younger students. There are People to People programs for adults, too.

Walt Disney was present at the first White House conference that established People to People. He created "It's a Small World" afterwards. It's one of the favorite attractions at Tokyo Disneyland. And, I have heard, it is popular in California as well.




Speaking of a small world, I found two of these Peace Poles on the same road just five blocks away from one another. I found this one a long time ago as I was walking down the street. I took this picture this morning.



On the wall of the apartment building beside the pole is the phrase "May Peace Prevail on Earth" written in 81 different languages. That is non-burnable recyclable garbage in the blue bags. It's from the residents of the apartment building.







I was on the bus recently when I saw this Peace Pole peeking up from the trees in a garden down the street from the other one! September 21st is the International Day of Peace . Some people are planting trees, some are making pinwheels, some are planting Peace Poles.

No comments: