September 03, 2006

Remains of Summer


All of the stores are putting out fall displays, but there are still remains of summer. During the summer, these plants crop up everywhere. Along the streets like this clump or at the garden gate, they are unplanned but are a sign of summer. Some people pick stems to use as cat toys. Summer feels like it is ending. It could be the typhoon that is approaching.





I was told that kemushi, one kind of moth caterpillar, lays its eggs on the fluffy part of the plant. We have to be careful because the hair of the kemushi burns or blisters skin. This caterpillar is most likely a moth, but I'm not sure it is a kemushi. Little Brother insists that is. Look at the orange dots. Amazing.

As it turns out, this caterpillar looks like a Painted Lady butterfly .

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am so enjoying this blog. Your pictures today made me remember the wooly bear caterpillars I used to see in Minnesota when I was a child-- they were a sign of winter coming.