December 25, 2006

Report Cards on Christmas Day


This was the last day of school before the winter break. Students took their report cards home. They just finished the second term of the school year. They will go back to school on the 3rd of January. The school year ends in March.



This is part of the report card. I didn't want to include Little Brother's marks even though they were good. On the left is a column of different subjects and objectives. On the right are columns for the marks or grades for the three terms of the school year.



Here is a close-up of the headings for the terms. On the left, there is a section of three columns for the marks for the first term. In the middle, there is a section for the second term. And then a section for the third term is on the right.

Students do not get a number or a letter grade. See the three columns beneath the 1 and the 2 and the 3? The marks are written in columns below those words. If students are working hard and doing well, they get a circle in the first column under the word yoku dekiru "can do well". If their work is adequate, they get a circle in the middle column under the word dekiru "can do". If they need to work harder, they get a circle in the third column under the word mou sukoshi
"a little more ".

Parents sign the cards by stamping them with the family seal (a stone with their name carved in it.) Students take them back to school and the teacher stamps them with her seal. I can't show that section of the report card to you because they contain legal signatures. They should not be posted because they could be duplicated.

Kids Web Japan--winter break

1 comment:

moominmamma said...

Annie, I stumbled across your blog because I was looking for weblinks to support the interest my unschooled children (12, 10, 8 and 3) have developed in the Japanese language and culture. I confess that I've yet to share your blog with them, because every time I pop in I get completely wrapped up in your photos and descriptions for my own interests. I end up rapt and lose track of why I came here in the first place. Please keep blogging; I promise I'll eventually get around to turning my kids on to your blog!

Miranda